Thursday, January 14, 2010

Back to life

Today I head back to work. After such an inspiring and life-altering experience in Cairo and Gaza, it's hard to imagine getting back to the daily grind. Fortunately, I happen to have a fantastic job, working with fantastic people and for fantastic bosses, working across the street from my home, earning a very decent wage which allows me rent, the ability to feed myself with quality wholesome food, and a bit extra. I am blessed.

But today, I'll go in, to what for most is a normal ordinary Thursday, but for me is my first day back after traveling to Gaza, being detained by riot police, having to negotiate with Hamas, being interviewed by Press TV, when I mentioned that I am Jewish while surrounded by 600 Palestinians, and so much more. It's hard to have that experience and then go back to normal life. It's hard to justify this life, full of success and joy, considering the devastation and oppression I witnessed and lived through just two weeks ago. That said, I am a white, privileged, college-educated American. I have a wonderful life. It may sound callous, but I will probably not know such suffering. Again, I am blessed.

These were thoughts I was having after leaving New Orleans and Common Ground Relief. I didn't know how one would operate in the "real world" after such a revolutionary experience. But you move on. You have the experiences, participate in what a friend called "baring radical witness", and continue, however you can, fighting the good, and absolutely vital, fight.

This fight continues to this day. This fight will continue to my last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment