Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Explanations

Why is it that we, as activists, as vegetarians, as persons committed to change, have to explain ourselves? Explain our motivations? Why is that those motivations are questioned, our idealism knocked down a peg, undermined not with the notion that things will change slowly, but rather that things won't. ever. change. "You know that people won't do anything about it." "I'm hopeful, but do you think anything will ever change?" I'm one who believes in the idea of spreading and disseminating information in hopes that minds will change. If you want to debate me, I'm game. But please leave your negativity out of it. My idea of negativity is the fact that whether it's financial institutions, social institutions or environmental policy, we are reaching a tipping point, a level of chaos and ruin that will only bring suffering and collapse. That is the negativity (a.k.a. truth) that I spread. But I'm hopeful that things will change. I do not personally say you are evil because you eat meat. You are evil because you're not getting mad about the state of our community, country, and planet. That would only alienate the very people I'd like to influence. So why is it common practice that we have to constantly defend ourselves and the reasons we operate as we do? Why can't we just be hopeful and committed and active, knowing full well the uphill battle we face? Why must we be constantly reminded our our uphill battle?

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Wall-E? I think people get so comfortable in their lives, whether good or bad, that they just don't care to fight for change.

    ReplyDelete